Services to Refugees & AsyleesThe International Institute of St. Louis - Southwest Missouri Branch (IISMO) provides services to assist refugees, asylees and their families to successfully integrate in and around Springfield, Missouri. IISMO provides resettlement and employment services for refugees, asylees and their families, in the U.S. 5 years’ or less.
The program is designed to promote the employability of newly-arrived refugees and asylees. Thus they can become more economically self-sufficient and avoid depending on government support. Established in 2012, IISMO has developed relationships with local employers, public schools and health providers.
Syrian Refugee Crisis and Resettlement - A Statement from the International Institute of St. Louis - Nov. 18, 2015
For more information on the Syrian Refugee Crisis, click here.
Who is eligible:
- Legally admitted refugees or asylees
- Burmese, Somali, Bosnian, or any other refugee population
- Individuals who are 16 years of age or older and not in school full time
- Eligible applicants must have lived in the US less than 5 years (except no time limit for information and referral services)
Refugee: a person outside of his or her country of nationality who is unable or unwilling to return because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion
Asylee: a person who has been granted political asylum by the US government, because she or she cannot return to their home country because of a well-founded fear of persecution.
Our Employment-Related Services
- Job Search & Application Assistance
- Interview Coaching
- World of Work Orientation
- Post Placement Follow-up Services
- Develop Family Budget
Facilitate Access to Benefits
- State Benefits
Health Related to Employment Services
- Facilitate Access to Primary & Specialty Care Services leading to employability
Translation and Interpretation
- Assist clients with language interpretation for employment related services - Completing Applications and Providing Basic Orientation at new job sites
Information & Referral
- ESOL Classes
- School Registration
- Community Resources
- Intervention Services
- Information & Referral Services only for refugees in the US more than 5 years
The foreign-born have a myriad of routine and special immigration application needs. As a resettlement agency, IISMO can complete an Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) for recently arrived refugees wanting to bring family members to the U.S.
WHILE WE DON”T PROVIDE IMMIGRATION SERVICES OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION, immigrants needing assistance may contact Legal Services of Southern MO.
The government branch of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for southwest MO is located at:
9747 NW Conant Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64153
No one can visit the USCIS without an appointment. Visit the USCIS website to make an appointment. Instructions are written in English and 11 other languages. If someone does not have access to a personal computer to make an appointment, he or she can visit a public library or ask an employee or volunteer at the International Institute for help to schedule an appointment.
The International Institute of St. Louis offers a variety of fee-based opportunities to help you more strongly link with internationals in your consumer, potential customer, and employee bases. Check out our following web pages for details about our excellent
Workplace and Cross-Cultural Training , and